The World of SC400

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The World of SC400

Helpful forum for SC400 fanatics

2 posters

Replacing the Coil

chasrb
    Individual
    Individual

Replacing the Coil Empty Replacing the Coil

Post by chasrb Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:47 am

Well, thank you to the moderator who allowed me to have the pdf prior to starting the replacement of the coil.

I'll get photos up here soon...

Narrative:

A while back took a short drive in the SC and it started to run like a 74 pinto...I returned home to see what was happening. Well it was that my engine was running on only 4 cylinders.

Looked at  fuses and general poking around in  the eng compartment to no avail. Then off to the computer to see how many others have had this problem. turns out a lot have.

There are plastic clips that hold the coil wire onto the coil, you can plan on them falling apart when trying to remove them.  Not sure how necessary they are, nut I'll be looking for alternative ways to be sure the coil wires stay firmly in place.

I started by unplugging the right bank coil (passenger side) which sits at the top of the engine above the water  pump inlet. I went round to check if the car would still start, it did on only 4 cyl still. So I thought that is the bad coil, I was wrong, but I have a new right bank coil on the car now :-).

So I went to test the left bank coil, conveniently placed where it is inconvenient to get to... did the same test and the car would not start at all.

The left bank coil is below  the left bank cam cover and distributer and just above and I mean just above the AC pump. You need to  remove the Cover where the distributer is, it is part of the plastic cove that runs down the middle of the oil covers. Remove the oil fill cap and then carefully remove the covers.

The most difficult part was removing the 14mm bolt that sits right above the AC compressor. Once its off the swap was rather quick.

I jumped in to the car to  give it a try and  balloons and confetti!!! The car runs on all 8 !!! Took it for a test drive and it runs great.

If it is  permissible, I will post some crosslinks to other forums if the moderator gives me an okay.
    SC400slide
    SC400slide
    Admin

Replacing the Coil Empty Re: Replacing the Coil

Post by SC400slide Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:22 am

chasrb wrote:Well, thank you to the moderator who allowed me to have the pdf prior to starting the replacement of the coil.

I'll get photos up here soon...

Narrative:

A while back took a short drive in the SC and it started to run like a 74 pinto...I returned home to see what was happening. Well it was that my engine was running on only 4 cylinders.

Looked at  fuses and general poking around in  the eng compartment to no avail. Then off to the computer to see how many others have had this problem. turns out a lot have.

There are plastic clips that hold the coil wire onto the coil, you can plan on them falling apart when trying to remove them.  Not sure how necessary they are, nut I'll be looking for alternative ways to be sure the coil wires stay firmly in place.

I started by unplugging the right bank coil (passenger side) which sits at the top of the engine above the water  pump inlet. I went round to check if the car would still start, it did on only 4 cyl still. So I thought that is the bad coil, I was wrong, but I have a new right bank coil on the car now :-).

So I went to test the left bank coil, conveniently placed where it is inconvenient to get to... did the same test and the car would not start at all.

The left bank coil is below  the left bank cam cover and distributer and just above and I mean just above the AC pump. You need to  remove the Cover where the distributer is, it is part of the plastic cove that runs down the middle of the oil covers. Remove the oil fill cap and then carefully remove the covers.

The most difficult part was removing the 14mm bolt that sits right above the AC compressor. Once its off the swap was rather quick.

I jumped in to the car to  give it a try and  balloons and confetti!!! The car runs on all 8 !!! Took it for a test drive and it runs great.

If it is  permissible, I will post some crosslinks to other forums if the moderator gives me an okay.
    Thats great to hear! Crosslinks to other forums are ok for now. Glad to hear your SC is back on it's feet again.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:04 am